Here are some Philadelphia Flyers-related news and notes on this Tuesday morning. The preseason finale is tonight at home against the Minnesota Wild. Four days until the regular season begins...
- Chris Pronger speaks with the media. Among other things, he says the team has improved greatly over the last few weeks (as expected), and that the depth on the Flyers' blueline will help by keeping minutes down for himself, Kimmo Timonen, and Braydon Coburn. Most interesting note, though: Pronger says having young defensemen on the NHL roster is good because, along with the older guys mentoring those young guys, the veterans can learn from them as well. [CSN Philly]
- Flyers play-by-play voice Jim Jackson won a Mid-Atlantic Emmy award for his PBP work. Congrats, and well deserved, JJ. [Flyers Official Site]
- Could relatively unknown goaltender Tyler Weiman be another option as a backup on the Flyers? He had impressive numbers in the AHL last season. [Hockey Or Die!]
- I'll be heading into enemy territory tonight, making an appearance on Blueshirt Banter Radio. If you don't venture out much, Blueshirt Banter is SBN's New York Rangers blog, and manager Jim Schmiedeberg does a great job with their weekly radio show. John of In Lou We Trust, Frank of Pensburgh, and Dominik of Lighthouse Hockey will all be on the program as well, so be sure to tune in for some insight on the Atlantic Division this year. 7 PM show time. [Blueshirt Banter] - [broadcast link here]
- There have been lots of questions and opinions on James van Riemsdyk's emergence this training camp. Here's an attempt to sum it all up at one time. [Clockwork Orange]
- A goal of the year candidate already? Well, it's not the NHL, but the OHL is playing meaningful hockey, and Kingston's Mike Farrell is starting the campaign early. [Puck Daddy]
- The Florida Panthers are in Europe starting the season as part of the NHL's Premiere series. They play Finland's Jokerit tomorrow in a preseason tune-up, but the pictures might come out a little weird considering both teams wear identical uniforms. [Litter Box Cats]
- Finally, the NHL looks like it may be taking sides in the Versus/DirectTV battle. [NHL.com]
Send links, tips, and suggestions to broadstreethockey at gmail.com.