David Laliberte breaks in on goal. via bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com
I know, I know: It's Saturday. But you're snowed in and I really wanted to share a few of these. Don't expect weekend Fly Bys to become a trend.
- Last night's NHL scores... NJ 4 - TOR 3; WAS 5 - ATL 2; CAR 4 - BUF 3; CAL 2 - FLA 1; PHO 2 - CHI 1 (SO)
- Ho, hum Washington wins again... [Japers' Rink]
- The Phantoms won 3-1 on goals by Mika Pyorala, Jonathon Kalinski, and an empty net goal by Jonathan Matsumoto. Johan Backlund stopped 24 of 25 shots. [PostStar]
- Sad news as Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke's son dies in a car accident. [Puck Daddy] Travis put up a link taking you to the SBN NHL Homepage. [FanShot]
- In other Flyers' prospect news, Joacim Eriksson stopped 33 of 36 shots (plus 6 of 7 in the shootout) to get the win. [EuroFlyers]...
- ...Jakub Kovar made 26 saves on 27 shots, stopping both shootout attempts to also get a win. [EuroFlyers]...
- ...And Jacob De Serres won again, recording his first shutout with Brandon as he stopped all 16 shots against him. [Luber's Lounge]
- The Tampa Bay Lightning have been sold! [Raw Charge]
- Another fan uses a lazer pointer on a goalie. Remember when this was on national T.V. at the Bank? [ Puck Daddy]
- Typical fluff piece the day before a game: Who will win the Super Bowl? [Frequent Flyers]
- Just thought I'd flag a new stat from Tom Awad which weights shots - by location, rebounds, and score - then adjusts for the situation, opponents, and teammates. Interesting, even if I don't fully grasp it. [Puck Prospectus]
- The Flyers react to the Kovalchuk trade: [CSNPhilly]
- Also in that above link comes this gem which I had to share in Friday's Snowed-in Thread: "Holmgren said Flyers have about $900,000 cap room as they search for a scoring upgrade at forward."
- The Wild give Anton Khudobin his first NHL start tomorrow. [CSNPhilly]
- Lastly - my favorite - Anthony SanFilippo says this about the Flyers cap situation: "They find themselves suffering from the perfect storm of roster dilemmas — no cap room (about $1 million), no top tier minor league prospects under contract and no draft picks to trade. ... The Flyers made this bed with questionable contracts, overpayment in trades, and a mismanagement of the salary cap." [DelcoTimes]