The Flyers picked up where they left off against the New Jersey Devils a year ago, winning yet another hockey game against their rivals from the north. This time, a third period comeback, a solid performance from Sergei Bobrovsky and a fun overtime and shootout gave the good guys the victory.
Let's get right to the bullet points, since it's preseason and all the little particulars don't matter.
- Michael Leighton looked good for a while, but as the second period progressed, we quickly remembered why we're not so excited about him. Holy rebound control, Batman.
- It took 9 minutes of third period play for Sergei Bobrovsky to see his first shot. His first real save came on just the second shot he saw, where he slid post-to-post to keep the Devils from opening a two-goal lead. The quickness is incredible.
- Bob's glove save on Jason Arnott late in the third was also quite incredible.
- In the shootout, he let up one softie, but overall, Bobrovsky looked pretty solid. He's clearly learned a bit on how to cut down the angles on the North American rink... and it's only been a week. We probably shouldn't get too excited just yet, but his performance was promising.
- Claude Giroux looked great on the Flyers first goal, getting a shot off after dragging three Devils towards him. A wide-open Darroll Powe stuffed the rebound home. His shootout goal was fantastic, but you could've guessed that.
More bullets, as well as the season's first comment of the night, after the jump.
- The white jerseys look great.
- Ian Laperriere layed out and blocked a shot tonight. It's September 21st.
- And JVR looked even better in them. You can tell that the bulk he's added is already paying off. Whether he's driving to the net or trying to win a puck battle, he looks much better equipped.
- Danny Briere ripped a shot by Devils goalie Mike McKenna that looked a hell of a lot like the goal he scored on Marty Brodeur in the playoffs last season.
- Andrej Meszaros has a pretty good point shot.
- Braydon Coburn was fierce tonight, using the body and whatnot.
Comment of the Night
…But…the Honorless Captain! And that whole thing about calling out fans dressed as empty seats! IT’S A LEGITIMATE COSTUME, TRAVIS.
>> Ben Feldman, doing his best Devils fan impression