[Recap] - [Game Page] - [New Jersey Reaction] - [Game Thread: 1, 2, 3]
[Box Score] - [Event Summary] - [PBP Log] - [TOI Log] - [Faceoff Report]
[Shift Charts] - [Head-to-Head TOI] - [Corsi and Fenwick] - [Zone Starts]
PHILADELPHIA -- A list of things that were good in tonight's game:
- Sergei Bobrovsky.
- Claude Giroux at the faceoff dot.
- Zac Rinaldo's goal.
- Max Talbot's penalty shot.
- Jaromir Jagr's awesomeness on Giroux's goal.
- Danny Briere's shootout goal that maybe should've been a not-goal but still was a goal.
This is a complete list. A list of things that were bad in tonight's game:
- Holy crap, the defense. TWELVE giveaways by the defenders alone, 18 total by the team. But 12 by the defense, and two directly led to goals. Matt Carle's giveaway in the third period, which led directly to New Jersey's game-tying goal, was particularly bad.
- Braydon Coburn. Every single thing about his night. Not one thing good happened
- Peter Laviolette's shootout decisions. Opting to shoot first (as he always does, and it usually comes down to stopping the final shooter, which never happens), putting Wayne Simmonds in to score the first goal. Just bad stuff.
- Zac Rinaldo's hit.
- The entirety of the second period.
- Not just the defensive players, but the entire team in their own end of the ice. That includes...
- ... the ability to break out of their own zone with anything that resembles anything positive.
- The Flyers blocked more shots (28) than they had shots on goal (23). That tells you just about everything you need to know. For the love of God, don't look at the Corsi chart above.
Questions with Answers
- How does Briere look in his first game back? That shootout goal was good enough for me.
- Johan Hedberg has been playing like a No. 1 goalie, so it's not as if the Flyers are getting a gift in missing Martin Brodeur. Who wins the goalie battle tonight? Hedberg was good. Bobrovsky was the only reason the Flyers got a point out of this game. He was phenomenal.
- The Devils have allowed a lot of goals lately -- 13 in the last three games. Can the Flyers exploit that tonight? Noooooooooope.
- Both teams played last night. Which team does this affect more? Who knows.
Comment of the Night
Yes, it was a charge, but it was also a clean hit.
>> LegionofDoom, channeling Zac Rinaldo logic