PHILADELPHIA, PA - DECEMBER 17: The Philadelphia Flyers and the Boston Bruins fight during their game on December 17, 2011 at The Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)
Today's open discussion thread, complete with your daily dose of Philadelphia Flyers-related news and notes...
- Injury updates, including Claude Giroux skating yesterday: [In The Room] [CSNPhilly] [Inquirer] [delcotimes.com] [Philly Sports Daily] [The Hockey Guys]
- Sean Couturier was released from the hospital yesterday: [CSNPhilly]
- Ilya Bryzgalov has not been the answer so far this season. The timing of this seems off, though: [Inquirer]
- Another story on Jody Shelley and his leadership, but I don't understand the constant focus on "deterrence". Does anybody actually prove whether or not this cliche is true? Of course not: [CSNPhilly]
- Will injuries cost the Flyers this season like they did in 1976, 1987, 1997, 2000, and 2004? [CSNPhilly]
- The Phantoms beat Syracuse 4-3 on Saturday night: [PostStar.com]
- Concussions in hockey happen more frequently than they are reported: [Inquirer]
- Concussions are also down this year compared to last, but once you get one concussion, you are more susceptible to others: [delcotimes.com]
- NHL.com headline: "Blues can thank Hitchcock for turnaround". They can, but the Blues were very good even when they fired Davis Payne.
- Arguing that the delay of game penalty for shooting the puck out of the rink from the defensive zone needs to change: [The Checking Line]
- Darryl Sutter has replaced John Stevens as head coach of the Kings: [SBNation.com]
- Also from Ben: For all the talk of Flyers West lately, we haven't talked nearly enough about Flyers East. Dinamo Riga has had a serviceable year thus far, and beat Vityaz 2-0 last night. Can't find any highlights from that game, but how 'bout another 2-0 win over Vityaz that includes a huge fight involving a guy with a mohawk? [YouTube]
- Also from Ben: The Kim is dead. Long live Lil' Kim. You thought you were upset about the Flyers' concussion situation? You could learn a thing or two about how to be upset from North Koreans. [YouTube]