It might not have been a penalty shot to win a championship game like Gordon Bombay faced as a kid in Mighty Ducks, but Matt Read certainly Gordon Bombay'd on his shootout attempt on Monday night at Pepsi Center, and as a result, the Philadelphia Flyers lost 3-2 in a shootout to the Colorado Avalanche.
Read, needing a goal to keep the shootout alive, clanked it off the post and sealed the win for the Avs. But you know what? Since nobody could stop a damn puck -- the five other attempts all went in the net, meaning the post was the only thing capable of making a save -- it's pretty hard to blame Read for the loss. It's pretty hard to blame anybody for it, really. The shootout sucks, and the Flyers suck at it even more.
So as for the actual hockey? The Flyers actually played a pretty solid game in all ends of the ice, but the second period really did them in. A really fluky goal was probably payback from the hockey Gods for that fluky goal the Flyers got in the Pittsburgh game last week, but really, the team sat back a bit with a 1-0 lead in the second period, and that's ultimately what kept them from getting the two points in the long run.
Other than that, you have to give 'em credit for battling back on the road and earning a point, and you have to like the silkiness of Jaromir Jagr and Danny Briere in the third period and overtime. They look wonderful together.
We'll take the point, I guess, and chalk the rest off to the BS that is the shootout. Boston took over sole possession of first place in the East by beating Montreal tonight, but whatever. It's December. Let them have it. Dallas is going to be a really tough game on Wednesday night.
Questions with Answers
- Ben Holmstrom is up and in the lineup. How's he look? I thought he looked good on that fourth line. He plays a simple game. It suits him well on that unit. He won like a billion faceoffs too.
- Same goes for Tom Sestito? Same goes, yep. Sestito didn't look out of place tonight and didn't play dumb, which was the worry. He's got better wheels than Jody Shelley and a bit more skill, too, so let's hope he can keep that up.
- And Matt Walker *gulp*? I didn't notice Matt Walker. He apparently blocked two shots. This is good.
- Colorado is bad at scoring goals. Can the Flyers hold them down tonight? Well, they held them to two goals. The Flyers should win games in which they're holding the opposition to two goals or fewer.
- Briere up with Jagr and Hartnell. How's that look? Sex.
- Can Ilya Bryzgalov bounce back from a bad game Saturday? Can the whole team, for that matter? I thought Bryz played well, although he could've had the paddle down on that one goal. Let's ignore the shootout.
Comment of the Night
Hartnell College Bike Team