If you weren't aware, Carts and X were pretty awesome over the last seven games of the regular season.
Given that I haven't been able to publish any of the scoring chance results for the first two playoff games as the script used hasn't been providing the information needed, I decided to look back at the results from the last seven games of the regular season.
The chances have been broken down into even strength, powerplay and penalty kill. Due to the small sample size, strong conclusions shouldn't be drawn from these results, but it's at least interesting to see individual performances at the end of the season when the team was not performing as well as expected.
A massive thanks to Neil Greenberg who tracks the Washington Capitals scoring chances for Russian Machine Never Breaks for helping with data compilation. His results for the Capitals regular season can be found here. Also, thanks to Vic Ferrari for writing the scripts.
Charts after the jump (there seems to be some interesting formatting with the table border unfortunately).
Even strength chance summary
|#||EV CF||EV CA||Sum of EVTOI||CF/60||CA/60||Chances +/- /60||Chance %|
|J. van Riemsdyk||21||22||24||89.5||14.7||16.1||-1.3||47.8%|
- Syvret (70.8% of scoring chances while on the ice), Zherdev (64.3%), Giroux (60.0%), Carter (59.7%) and Carle (57.6%) were very good in the final games of the season.
- Betts (30%), Nodl (28%) and Powe (38.1%) were all pretty bad, but given their role I don't think we should be too hard on them.
- Coburn, O'Donnell, Versteeg, Richards, JVR, Boynton and Timonen were all below 50%, but hopefully would be better of the full course of the season.
Powerplay chance summary
|#||Sum PP CF||Sum PPTOI||PP CHANCES/2MIN|
|J. van Riemsdyk||21||9||20.7||0.9|
- We all know the powerplay is bad, but it still seems to be generating chances. Compared to the Capitals PP chance results for the entire season, the Flyers chances/2mins for the last seven games appear to be lower.
- There also seems to be a difference in chances generated between the two units that Laviolette usually runs with.
Summary of penalty kill chances
|#||Sum of SH CA||Sum of SHTOI||SH chances/2min|
|J. van Riemsdyk||21||0||0.8||*|
- Less Versteeg, more Nodl on the penalty kill!
I'll say it once more for emphasis, but the small sample of seven games shouldn't be used to draw any hard conclusions. If you see anything else interesting in the results, or would like me to look at something else with the data, let me know in the comments.