It's not Ovi vs Coby, but it'll do.
Today's open discussion thread, complete with your daily dose of Philadelphia Flyers news and notes...
- The annual rookie game against the Capitals (presented by Smoothie King!) is tonight at 5 p.m. at the WFC. Free but necessary tickets are still available, but if you can't make it, the Flyers will have a live stream on their website. We'll have a game thread and we'll try to embed the video here if the Internets will let us.
- Not that I'm not excited that Chris Pronger is on track to be ready to start the season on time, but I also wouldn't mind if he missed time out of an abundance of caution either. He's more important in April and May than in October, ya know? [Philly Sports Daily] [CSN]
- We updated our Organizational Depth Chart last night to include yesterday's Blake Kessel signing, as well as the termination of Joonas Lehtivuori's contract with the club. [BSH]
- Speaking of Kessel... [BSH] [Daily News] [Flyers] [CSN] [Philly Sports Daily]
- Check the new section over on the right sidebar of the site: Training Camp HQ, yall. That'll be updated with all the pertinent links as permitted. You can find our big camp roster, which will be updated daily (or as needed), and the full camp schedule right there at all times until the end of camp.
- Can't say I agree with the idea that Sean Couturier should be the one taking Jody Shelley's roster spot (not yet, at least), but the conclusion here? Well... "Philadelphia's a tough town that likes its tough team. A town tough enough to wait over 35 years between Stanley Cups. What a strange idea it is to wonder if maybe being so tough has held us back." [Flyers Goal Scored By...]
- Tyler Brown is making a bit of a splash in rookie camp. Homer and Lavi like him, so that's cool. [Philly Sports Daily] [CSN]
- Jason Buh-Cash-A-Wuh hopes to make it back to the NHL with the Flyers. You know, even though he's at best the fourth goalie on the depth chart right now. Can't blame a guy for trying. [Philly Sports Daily] Oh, and here's a story about the coach he'll actually play games for this season. [PSD]
- And speaking of goalies, Niko Hovinen has a whoooooole lotta work to do. [NHL.com]
- Ruslan Fedotenko story. Wooooooooo. [Flyers Faithful]
- The Flyers instituted a policy on Tweeting the other day after Zac Rinaldo let it leak that he wouldn't be playing in tonight's rookie game. [Puck Daddy] It seems as though the entire league is following their example, as the NHL has implemented a broad social media policy for the upcoming year. [CBC]
- Jeremy Roenick hurt our feelings. [BSH] [Puck Daddy] [Flyers Faithful]
- With Jeff Carter around, the Blue Jackets are allowed to be patient with prospect Ryan Johansen. [NHL.com] Also, does Carter's presence mean that Rick Nash isn't the best player in Columbus anymore? [The Cannon]
- Finally, this AP story is six days old, but: "As rain washed over him, Todd Fedoruk stumbled on the streets of Tampa in his latest haze, this one ignited by a concoction of booze and cocaine." Worth the read. [AP via National Post]