The Flyers didn't lead after the first ten, but they did score first! Kimmo Timonen scored on the first powerplay of the game after Plekanec got sent to the box for slashing. That's a good way to get in the head of a team who's PK is ranked first in the league. The Canadiens had a couple of good chances in the first that were all snuffed by Bryz, who as we all know has decided to try to be worth every cent of that $51,000,000. Chris Pronger was shown with 1:50 left in the first and received a standing ovation. He actually had a smile on his face, which may be the first time any of us have seen him smile. He even had his picture put up for the second period thread. All was well in Flyerdom.
In the second period, Plekanec received a stretch pass from Lars Eller and tucked into an open net after deking Bryzgalov to the other side of the net. Then, Voracek coughed the puck up in the neutral zone and Montreal went in on a two-on-zero. However, Bryz came up with a huge save. Then, the Flyers gave up a shorthanded breakaway to Plekanec but Bryz stood tall again! After that, the most unthinkable of things happened. Danny B popped a goal in! A tip-in on Carle's point shot, which was Carle's 200th NHL point. Danny B then added another one on the power play, absolutely sniping the puck over Budaj's blocker. The Habs tried to make a late push, but Bryz stopped all of their chances.
The third period was relatively quiet until Simmer got mixed up in the corner with about 9 minutes left. That gave Montreal the powerplay. Then, Bryz tripped up Markov, after making a huge save, and it gave Montreal a two-man advantage. Bryz dove a made a huge cover when Talbot broke his stick. Even though the PK was sloppy, the Flyers managed to kill it off. The game really picked up after that, turning into more of a Wild West shootout with both teams getting chances one after another. At the end of the up-and-down action, Reader slammed home a backdoor pass from Couturier to make it 4-1.
That's the score the game ended at. The Flyers controlled the play for the majority of the game, which is what we all expected.
- Wellwood is really fast isn't he? I forget who said it but I think we do need to check his skates for rocket boosters. Kid continues to be a pleasant surprise, showing a physical side tonight. Definitiely making a case to be on the roster next year.
- Oh by the way, we made the playoffs tonight. The 16th time in 17 years, that's pretty cool, huh?
- Wayne Simmonds took two stupid penalties tonight. They almost allowed the Canadiens to get back in the game.
- Bryzgalov, Bryzgalov, Bryzgalov. What else is there to say about this turnaround that hasn't been said? He made some huge saves tonight and saved the Flyers bacon on the five-on-three, diving on a loose puck after Talbot broke his stick.
- Rinaldo made a dazzling move at the end of the second period. He put the puck in the net too! However, the period had already ended, leading to sympathy from the BSH masses.
- You know the playoffs are right around the corner, and so does Briere. He popped in two goals tonight. Hopefully this is just the start of Briere's annual heating up come playoff time.
- Zebras tonight were not terrible. Really let the players play. That was a nice change.
"Briere is really good at getting it up."