Eastern Quarterfinals, Game 2 -- Flyers lead series, 2-0
[Complete Coverage] - [Pittsburgh Reaction] - [Discussion Thread]
[Event Summary] - [PBP Log] - [TOI Log] - [Faceoff Report]
[Shift Charts] - [Head-to-Head TOI] - [Shot Differential] - [5-on-5 Faceoffs]
Holy crap the Flyers just scored eight goals against the Penguins in the playoffs. That kid Sean Couturier scored more goals than he has teeth. X marked the spot three times as well. It. Was. Awesome. So was this.
To be more specific, the Flyers did that whole thing where they start off losing but then eventually win. It's an exasperating way to win hockey game, but it's the W that counts.
- Last game (the bad part of it that involved losing) looked to be repeating itself early on, with Sidney Crosby scoring before the game officially began (i.e. before I finished assembling my burrito). Chris Kunitz scored as well before the ten-minute mark and again Peter Laviolette had to burn a timeout in the first period. The man burns them slow and perfectly though, like a marshmallow the perfect shade of golden brown, like a tall glass of Canada Dry ginger ale on a Sunday afternoon in August, like more similes about warm weather niceness.
- Obviously the timeout worked. Max Talbot fertilized the flower (read: pooped on him) to give the Flyers their first first period goal of the series. By the end of the second period the Flyers were tied 4-4 and life was awesome and the Penguins were all "oh here shit goes again..." The Flyers had scored 2 shorthanded goals en route. It was awesome.
- Loveable gap-toothed seahorse Sean Couturier had tied the game at 4-4, and then tied it again at 5-5 after Bryzgalov gave up his first bad goal of the season to Hampton J. Pig.
Questions with Answers
- Can the Flyers continue to shut down Malkin and Crosby? Again, yes to Malkin, no to Crosby.
- Can the Giroux line win the battle against Jordan Staal's line tonight? Claude Giroux was the bestest thing on the ice. Jordan Staal was not.
- Pavel Kubina tags in. What's the impact? He's slow, and clumsy, but luckily it didn't cost the Flyboys at all. Would like to see Gus get a shot.
- Pittsburgh's power play: Does it still suck? And the Flyers penalty kill: Still awesome? Pens went 2 for 4, but gave up two shorthanded goals. Advantage Flyers.