Eastern Quarterfinals, Game 4 -- Flyers lead series, 3-1
[Complete Coverage] - [Pittsburgh Reaction] - [Discussion Thread]
[Event Summary] - [PBP Log] - [TOI Log] - [Faceoff Report]
[Shift Charts] - [Head-to-Head TOI] - [Shot Differential] - [5-on-5 Faceoffs]
I'm honestly not sure what that was. It wasn't hockey. Has this been hockey this whole series? Doubtful.
The Flyers gave up a sawbuck of goals to their cross-state rivals tonight, including an absurd eight unanswered to earn their first playoff loss of the year. It was fun, then it was ridiculous, then it was surreal, then it was empty, then it was over.
Then it was bullet time.
- Started well enough. The Flyers scored the first goal for the first time this series, which means that the team that scores first is now an inexplicable 0-4. The Flyers led 3-2 before it all fell apart.
- Even saying it all fell apart doesn't do justice to how much it fell apart. The Penguins scored 8 goals in a row, the Flyers played laughably lazy defense, and couldn't even begin to kill a penalty. It was ugly, but so far from everything else we've seen from this team that it has to be considered more anomalous than discouraging.
- After Ilya Bryzgalov was pulled after letting in 5 goals on 18 shots, Sergei Bobrovsky let in 5 goals on 18 shots. At least there won't be a goalie controversy, and at least Laviolette managed to shelter Bryzgalov from most of the nonsense.
- Not just the goalies were at fault tonight, obviously. Plenty of other players deserve to be called out as well. Just because I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him before, I'll single out Matt Read. He wasn't good.
This is the weird series that's four games in and doesn't feel like it's really begun. At some point real hockey will take over (almost certainly Game 5), and we'll see what happens. I don't know that "real hockey" helps the Flyers necessarily, but it certainly helps my sanity.
Questions to Answer:
- What impact do Pittsburgh's lineup changes have on the game? Can the Flyers take advantage? Little, and no.
- Is tonight crazy like Games 1, 2 and 3 were? Super crazy. Baker's dozen yet again.
- Can the Flyers defense tighten up a bit? LOL.
- What about Ilya Bryzgalov? He looked slow, and not tight.
- Hey, uh ... can the Flyers score first? Yes. Not all it's cracked up to be.
Comment of the Night:
i had a dog get run over once, but then it won Game 5. --flyersfaninchicago.
Still 3 down, still 13 to go. This is still happening. Go Flyers.
(Stumped? Here you go.)