A sleepy game tonight. The Flyers and Devils took turns smothering each other and looking generally ineffective. Unfortunately the Devils took advantage of their opportunities, and in all too familiar style the Flyers didn't. It took the Flyers a full 13 minutes to register their first scoring chance. They got all of 3 scoring chances in the critical third period, almost 18 minutes apart. This one was tough to watch. Lets see how the lines did.
Forward Lines(Even Strength):
- 1st Line ( Hartnell +2, Giroux + 3, Voracek +1) B+, Hey a positive outing for these guys. Their primary match up was the Henrique line and they won the possession battle convincingly. They came out ahead in scoring chances but allowed their fair share. Its becoming a familiar refrain with any line Giroux plays on that they simply can't bury their opportunities. Berube shuffled the lines again late in the game, but he should keep these guys together on Saturday and let them develop some consistency and chemistry.
- 2nd Line ( Schenn +1, Lecavalier +1, Read -1) C+, A weak possession game for this line as they were among the Flyers worst Corsi performers. They essentially broke even on scoring chances despite that, so that's a slight positive. Their primary match up was the Brunner line, so we can't write this one off to overly tough competition. Lecavalier had a spurt or two of dangerous play but not much else to write home about. They also allowed a goal 2 minutes into the game. Flyers needed more from their 2nd line tonight.
- 3rd Line ( Raffl 0, Couturier -2, Simmonds 0) B+, Couturier's line struggled a bit in the scoring chance department but this line was probably the Flyers strongest unit for driving play. Raffl and Couturier in particular were strong Corsi performers tonight. This is especially impressive considering that their primary match up was the Jagr line. Couturier continues to be impressive in the shut down role against difficult assignments. If he Scooter can somehow shake off whatever hex is currently on his stick and bury a goal, we might be able to safely call this the Flyers "best line". Seriously, someone sacrifice a chicken to Jobu and see if that works.
- 4th Line ( Newbury -3, Rinaldo -1, Hall -2) D- , The weak link tonight for the Flyers was the 4th line. They got their usual soft assignments with minimal minutes yet they managed to be on the ice for the second Devils goal and got abused in the scoring chance department. I've been hinting in my previous posts that this grouping would be exploitable and that prediction came to fruition tonight. A good 4th line needs to play low event hockey. Rinaldo and company were a little too noticeable tonight in the wrong ways.
Defensive Pairings(Even Strength)
- 1st Pair ( Coburn 0, Timonen +5) A, Steady and consistent as always. They came out ahead in both possession metrics and scoring chances. Timonen continues to be stellar at driving play despite getting a steady diet of the Jagr line. The Flyers would be rough shape without these two playing big minutes every night. Zero complaints.
- 2nd Pair ( Grossman -1, Streit -2) C+, A mixed bag for the 2nd d-pairing. They came out slightly ahead in possession but fell behind in scoring chances. Their primary match up was a relatively easy one against the Brunner line. They weren't bad, but they didn't do enough to earn a higher grade.
- 3rd Pair ( Meszaros -3, Gill -2) D+, Came out behind the possession battle and were on the ice for both Devils goals. The 2nd goal was definitely a rough sequence for Meszaros who looked indecisive and ended up deflecting the puck past Emery with his foot. Similar to the Flyers 4th forward line, Gill and Mez lost the scoring chance battle pretty decisively. I don't want to be too hard on them, because I actually think Gill made some impressive plays tonight at times.
- Power Play D-, 3 opportunities, 2 shots, 0 scoring chances, 0 goals. The power play is just plain awful and has been for an extended period of time. We can't even say they're getting chances and have just been unlucky. The power play isn't producing ANYTHING, or even threatening the opposing goaltender. The Flyers need a major shake up on the power play to try and get something going. If only Berube could decline penalties, because his team actually plays fairly well 5 on 5.
- Penalty Kill A-, 3 opportunities, 4 shots, 2 scoring chances against, 0 goals allowed. The PK continues to be strong and reliable. No complaints.
- Ray Emery A- , Ray stopped 25 of 27 shots and was only beaten by two high slot deflections. He had no chance to save those goals. Another dependable performance. No complaints.
Overall Team Performance: C-
Believe it or not, the Flyers actually came out ahead in puck possession and were only a combined -3 at even strength scoring chances. They hung in there with the Devils for 2 periods and traded scoring chances early on. The big story tonight is yet another abysmal third period. Traditionally its usually the team that's losing that comes out strong in the final frame, what with score effects and all. Its absolutely inexcusable for the Flyers to generate 3 scoring chances in the third. Especially only 1 chance at even strength. With the goalie pulled they managed to tack on 2 chances and inflate an otherwise dreadful third period performance. Yet again the Flyers waste a decent effort overall and fold like a cheap tent late in the game. Yet again, the Flyers fail to compete when it matters most. This was absolutely a winnable game for the Flyers and they chose not to show up for the final twenty minutes. Inexcusable.
Scoring Chance Summary:
|Away||1||19:30||Set Up: Harrold Chance: Bernier, Result: Shot||8||19||28||29||32||93||6||10||12||18||19||30||5v5|
|Away||1||18:20||Chance: Tedenby, Result: Shot||10||24||29||40||41||75||5||9||14||17||22||30||5v5|
|Away||1||18:03||Set Up: Gelinas Chance: Henrique, Result: Goal||8||18||29||32||36||45||2||11||20||25||28||30||5v5|
|Home||1||7:28||Set Up: Raffl, Chance: Giroux, Result: Shot||5||12||28||29||36||44||10||12||18||19||22||30||5v5|
|Home||1||7:02||Chance: Rinaldo Result: Miss||5||12||28||29||36||44||2||12||18||19||28||30||5v5|
|Home||1||6:41||Set Up: Ryder, Chance: Tedenby, Result: Save||10||24||29||40||41||75||2||5||9||14||17||30||5v5|
|Away||1||5:00||Set Up: Jagr, Chance: Zidlicky, Result: Save||5||19||28||29||44||93||2||6||8||21||30||68||5v5|
|Home||1||4:13||Set Up: Raffl, Chance: Couturier, Result: Miss||8||12||14||17||29||32||6||10||12||18||19||30||5v5|
|Away||2||19:48||Set Up: Zidlicky, Chance: Loktionov, Result: Shot||5||14||24||29||44||2||17||19||21||30||68||4v5|
|Home||2||18:06||Set Up: Lecavalier, Chance: B. Schenn, Result: Shot||10||24||29||40||41||44||5||8||12||18||22||30||5v5|
|Away||2||17:01||Set Up: Jagr, Chance: Loktionov, Result: Shot||5||12||14||17||29||44||2||9||21||28||30||68||5v5|
|Home||2||14:54||Set Up: Hartnell, Chance: Voracek, Result: Miss||5||19||28||29||44||93||6||10||12||18||19||30||5v5|
|Away||2||13:05||Chance: Jagr, Result: Miss||5||8||12||18||29||2||18||19||21||30||68||4v5|
|Home||2||11:20||Set Up: Giroux, Chance: Lecavalier, Result: Miss||8||10||28||29||40||44||6||8||10||11||20||30||5v5|
|Away||2||10:29||Chance: Henrique, Result: Shot||28||29||36||41||45||75||5||9||14||17||22||30||5v5|
|Home||2||8:44||Set Up: Hartnell, Chance: Voracek, Result: Miss||19||28||29||32||44||93||2||12||18||19||28||30||5v5|
|Away||2||1:00||Set Up: Jagr, Chance: Gelinas, Result: Shot||8||12||14||17||29||32||5||8||21||22||30||68||5v5|
|Home||3||19:00||Set Up: Giroux, Chance: Voracek, Result: Shot||8||19||28||29||32||93||9||10||14||17||28||30||5v5|
|Away||3||17:01||Set Up: Larsson, Chance: Jansen, Result: Goal||18||29||36||41||45||75||5||11||20||25||28||30||5v5|
|Away||3||13:31||Set Up: Gionta Chance: Carter, Result: Miss||10||24||29||32||40||41||5||11||20||22||25||30||5v5|
|Away||3||8:07||Set Up: Greene, Chance: Loktionov, Result: Shot||5||12||14||17||29||44||6||8||10||21||30||68||5v5|
|Away||3||7:45||Set Up: Zidlicky, Chance: Brunner, Result: Shot||8||24||28||29||32||40||2||12||18||19||28||30||5v5|
|Home||3||1:38||Set Up: Voracek, Chance: Hartnell, Result: Shot||17||19||28||40||44||93||2||6||14||18||19||30||5v5|
|Home||3||0:53||Set Up: Giroux, Chance: Simmonds, Result: Shot||17||19||28||32||40||44||6||8||11||19||28||30||5v5|
|Away||3||0:05||Chance: Jagr Result: Goal||19||28||32||40||41||93||6||14||18||28||30||68||5v5|
|Period||Totals||EV||PP||5v3 PP||SH||5v3 SH|
Shot Attempts courtesy of Extra Skater: