The Flyers stole two points from Nashville with a shootout victory, despite getting heavily outplayed at even strength. Scoring chances at 5v5 were 18 - 7 in the Predators favor, and they controlled nearly 65% of the shot attempts. Special teams were tilted in Philadelphia's favor, with the Flyers recording 9 scoring chances on both the power play and penalty kill. Total scoring chances were 21-18 Nashville. Not an inspiring start to the road trip to say the least. Prepare for lots of a snark and negativity in the line evaluations!!
Forwards (Even Strength)
- 1st Line (Hartnell -5, Giroux -5, Voracek -4) F, Surprisingly this group was the Flyers best possession line, despite getting just as heavily outchanced as every other forward unit. Trotz got the Fisher line out against them as much as possible and they struggled to generate much of anything offensively. Defensively they were on the ice for both Flyers goals against and gave up a ton of chances. Voracek had a particularly Keystone Cops esque night, making a spectacular save against his own team when he swiped an easy tap in goal away from Simmonds. He followed up that cringe worthy error by taking an absolutely boneheaded too many men on the ice penalty. I guess you can give them credit for taking on the Preds top line and not getting totally obliterated, but overall a mediocre performance. Oh and Giroux scored a goal...so he's got that going for him.....
- 2nd Line (B. Schenn -5, Lecavalier -5, Simmonds -5) F, Heavily outshot, outchanced, and simply outclassed in almost every facet of the game. This line failed to generate a single even strength scoring chance and were amongst the Flyers worst Corsi forwards. They saw a lot of the Preds 2nd line centered by Legwand and just couldn't do anything worth mentioning.
- 3rd Line (Downie 0, Couturier +1, Read -1) B, The only savageable even strength performance amongst the Flyers Top-9 group. Sean Couturier's 2 point night, and Steve Mason's brillant brillant pads, are pretty much the only reason the Flyers we're even in this game. Trotz tried to match the Pred's third line centered by Cullen against Coots and friends. Sure they got outshot like everyone else, but at least they produced a modicum of offensive pressure. Coots assisted on Giroux's goal and roofed a slick pass from Andrej Mezsaros to send the game to overtime. Thank you Sean Couturier for deciding to show up and play some hockey tonight! We're not worthy!
- 4th Line (Raffl 0, Hall -1, Rinaldo -1 ) C, Not much happened with the 4th line on the ice, which is probably a good thing. I suppose if I force myself to find a bright point, it would be the play of Michael Raffl. He's looked good in limited minutes. Moving on....
D-Pairings: (Even Strength)
- 1st Pair (Coburn -9, Timonen -5) F, These guys got absolutely pounded by the Fisher line. Normally a pillar of strength for the Flyers, even this pair couldn't put together a good hockey game. Coburn took a pair of penalties. (Which in retrospect probably helped the Flyers keep their incompetent 5v5 unites off the ice!) Ugh....
- 2nd Pair (Grossman -1, Streit -1) B, They weren't terrible!!! Streit was actually among the better corsi performers on the team. And both of them got directly involved in generating some offensive chances. A passable performance.
- 3rd Pair ( L. Schenn -3, Mezsaros -3) D, The worst corsi pair, badly outchanced, and they gave up a goal. On the positive side, they weren't as bad as the first pair, and Mez had a pretty sweet assist on Couturier's game tying goal.
- Power Play B, 3 opportunities, 6 shots, 8 scoring chances, 0 goals. The powerplay actually did a decent job of generating chances in a limited number of opportunities. Players seemed more willing to shoot the puck. Normally I'm pretty hard on the powerplay, but it was nice contrast to the abysmal 5v5 play in this game, and accounted for almost half of the Flyers scoring chances.
- Penalty Kill A+, 6 opportunities, 1 shot against, 3 chances against, 0 goals against, and 3 chances for! Another flawless night from the Flyers penalty kill. Even with the heavy workload this unit managed to thrive and generate offensive pressure.
- Steve Mason A, He stopped 34 of 36 shots, and 19 of 21 chances. A game stealing performance!
Overall Team Performance: D+
Even strength play was flat out awful and they probably should have lost this game. How they managed to look semi competent on the power play I just don't know. As usual Sean Couturier was awesome, the penalty kill stellar, and Mason even better. If they Flyers want to actually earn some wins on this road trip against some very tough Western teams, they need to play drastically better. The next time they falter this badly, Coots and Stevezina might not be there to save them.
Chance by Chance Summary:
|Away||1||18:21||Set Up: Couturier, Chance: Read, Result: Shot||11||25||39||42||47||57||8||9||14||24||32||35||5v5|
|Away||1||7:01||Set Up: Giroux, Chance: Hartnell, Result: Shot||3||13||28||39||59||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||1||6:02||Set Up: Timonen, Chance: Voracek, Result: Shot||12||24||39||42||64||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||1||5:55||Set Up: Timonen, Chance: Voracek, Result: Shot||12||24||39||42||64||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||1||3:36||Set Up: Couturier, Chance: Timonen, Result: Shot||3||13||25||27||39||59||5||14||18||35||44||5v4|
|Away||1||3:12||Set Up: Couturier, Chance: Giroux, Result: Goal||3||13||24||25||39||42||5||14||28||35||44||93||5v5|
|Away||2||15:11||Set Up: Streit, Chance: Grossmann, Result: Miss||4||24||26||28||39||64||8||12||17||22||35||40||5v5|
|Away||2||10:13||Chance: Hall, Result: Shot||4||7||15||33||39||57||5||14||18||35||44||5v4|
|Away||2||9:31||Chance: Raffl, Result: Shot||4||7||11||15||27||39||8||12||22||24||35||5v4|
|Away||2||7:33||Set Up: Giroux, Chance: Hartnell, Result: Miss||4||11||13||25||39||64||8||19||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||2||5:16||Set Up: Couturier, Chance: Read, Result: Shot||7||13||15||39||42||47||8||9||14||24||32||35||5v5|
|Away||3||18:02||Set Up: Giroux, Chance: Hartnell, Result: Miss||3||26||28||39||59||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||3||17:54||Set Up: Timonen, Chance: Voracek, Result: Miss||3||26||28||39||59||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||3||17:46||Set Up: Timonen, Chance: Giroux, Result: Miss||3||26||28||39||59||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||3||17:37||Set Up: Voracek, Chance: Simmonds, Result: Miss||3||26||28||39||59||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||3||6:54||Set Up: Mezsaros, Chance: Couturier, Result: Goal||7||13||15||39||42||64||9||14||22||24||35||41||5v5|
|Away||3||3:04||Set Up: Voracek, Chance: Hartnell, Result: Shot||3||13||26||39||59||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||4||1:22||Chance: Read, Result: Miss||3||11||27||39||59||14||24||32||35||41||4v4|
Away Team Player Summary:
Away Team Period Summary
|Period||Totals||EV||PP||5v3 PP||SH||5v3 SH|
Shot Attempts Courtesy of Extra Skater