A very up and down game in which both teams benefited from some lucky bounces and strange goals. If you pressed me, I'd probably say the Senators had the better of the play overall and the numbers back this up. Ottawa controlled 57% of shot attempts and had the lead in total chances with 18 to the Flyers 15. But the Flyers had a slim lead in even strength opportunities with 13 to the Senators 12. And as you'll see, this is due largely to the efforts of Giroux's line.
- 1st Line(Hartnell +8, Giroux +6, Voracek +6) A, In a welcome change of pace, the Flyers top line actually carried the play for the Flyers against a tough match up. They spent the vast majority of their ice time against the Turris and Spezza lines and crushed it. This was also the best forward line in terms of CorsiFor%, and they were the only Flyers besides Braydon Coburn to generate more shots than they allowed. Voracek had a noticeably fantastic game and was directly involved in a large percentage of the Flyers chances. Despite all of these awesome awesome things, they didn't combine for any even strength goals. But if they can keep this up for a few games the goals will come.
2nd Line(Raffl -2, B. Schenn -3, Simmonds -3) C, Schenn's line continues to cash in goals while being largely outchanced and outshot. They're a mini version of the Toronto Maple leafs at this point. More troubling should be the fact that they spent most of their ice time against the Sen's bottom 6 forward group. They had an ok corsi night relative to the rest of the team but that should be expected against weak competition. Don't look for this production to continue if they keep getting outplayed every night. On a more positive note, Raffl potted his first NHL goal. Although I'm critical of this line as a whole, I think pretty highly of Raffl as a depth forward. Its good to finally see him finish.
- 3rd Line(Downie -4, Couturier -3, Read -5) F, And in a not so welcome change of pace, the Flyers third line got punched in the gut. They were among the Flyers worst Corsi performers and gave up a slew of chances and goals against. Its not often that we've seen this line get so thoroughly beaten. On the bright side, Couturier managed to assist on Timonen's goal. But it wasn't enough to salvage an otherwise forgettable performance.
- 4th Line(Rosehill 0, Hall +1, Rinaldo 0) B-, The 4th line turned in their usual performance where nothing of note happens in very limited minutes against very soft competition. And it should stay that way. LOOKING AT YOU RINALDO!
- 1st Pair(Coburn+3, Timonen 0) A, Eye test alert. I thought Coburn looked really solid tonight and the numbers back it up. He was the Flyers best corsi performer not on the first line and was solidly ahead in scoring chances. Both defenders got their usual Top-6 assignment and didn't allow any goals. Timonen managed to pot an extra special goal that I couldn't count as a scoring chance. Thanks Craig Anderson!
- 2nd Pair(Grossman -4, Streit 0) D, Rough game for this pair. Although they got slightly easier minutes than the first pair, they still saw their fair share of the Top-6. And in that time they yielded 2 goals. Streit numbers are still noticeably better than Grossmans, but it would be a stretch to say the he played well. The first MacArthur goal was the direct result of a sloppy offensive zone turnover by Streit and overall I think he looked shaky and hesitant with the puck.
3rd Pair(L. Schenn +1, Meszaros 0) B, Okay numbers but a sheltered match up against the Sens bottom 6. They got outshot and I think one of the Sen's goals may have gone off Schenn. (That's the second game in a row!) Thankfully he made up for it by making Anderson look silly on yet another goal from outside the scoring chance area. Ottawa's T.V. crew was adamant that it was deflected by Simmonds but I never saw enough evidence to award a chance on the play. Overall this pair turned in a passable performance.
Powerplay B+, 2 opportunities, 2 shots, 2 scoring chances, 1 goal. A high efficiency game and another situation where Voracek shined. They did what they had to do despite limited opportunities.
- Penalty Kill D, 3 opportunities, 5 shots against, 6 chances against, 1 goal against. Although they only gave up one goal, they allowed numerous chances.
Steve Mason C, He stopped 30 of 34 shots, 15 of 18 chances, and allowed one goal from a non scoring chance area. Its rare that I hand out a poor grade to Mason but his rebound control was spotty tonight and it cost him on at least one goal and led to several opportunities.
Overall Team Performance: C-
A monster performance for the first line as far as the underlying numbers go. Late in the third period they almost stole two points but got robbed by a sprawling save by Craig Anderson. But the rest of the line up leaves you wanting. Schenn's line once again produced points but failed to control play. Couturier's line and the Streit D-pair looked downright bad. A little luck earned them a point and if nothing else, be thankful we're still in the thick of things in the Metro division.
Chance by Chance Summary:
|Away||1||12:21||Set Up Couturier Chance Downie Result Shot||2||16||19||22||41||46||9||14||24||32||35||41||5v5|
|Away||1||11:44||Set Up Simmonds Chance Raffl Result Goal||2||4||9||14||41||93||10||12||17||22||35||41||5v5|
|Away||1||10:37||Set Up Hall Chance Rinaldo Result Miss||4||14||15||25||41||77||12||18||22||35||36||41||5v5|
|Away||1||5:51||Set Up Voracek Chance Hartnell Result Shot||3||14||15||25||41||65||5||19||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||1||5:50||Chance Hartnell Result Shot||3||14||15||25||41||65||5||19||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||1||5:36||Set Up Voracek Chance Giroux Result Miss||3||14||15||25||41||65||5||19||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||1||4:53||Chance Voracek Result Shot||3||4||9||14||41||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||2||12:18||Chance Voracek Result Miss||3||6||7||19||41||65||5||19||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||2||8:18||Chance Voracek Result Goal||2||4||9||14||41||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||2||3:30||Set Up Timonen Chance Hartnell Result Shot||4||16||19||22||41||77||5||19||28||35||44||93||5v5|
|Away||3||19:52||Chance Hartnell Result Shot||4||6||16||19||41||77||8||19||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||3||19:51||Set Up Hartnell Chance Voracek Result Shot||4||6||16||19||41||77||8||19||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||3||5:40||Set Up Hartnell Chance Voracek Result Shot||4||7||9||41||77||93||5||19||28||35||41||93||5v5|
|Away||3||0:51||Set Up Grossmann Chance Giroux Result Shot||4||14||15||25||41||77||8||19||22||28||35||93||5v5|
|Away||3||0:50||Chance Giroux Result Shot||4||14||15||25||41||77||8||19||22||28||35||93||5v5|
Away Team Player Summary
Away Team Period Summary
|Period||Totals||EV||PP||5v3 PP||SH||5v3 SH|
Shot Attempts Courtesy of Extra Skater