I'd like to have an intelligent discussion about what exactly we all think is really wrong with the Flyers.
This is a team that will flirt with .500 all season if there aren't some changes made. Gonna go down the list and say that we're a mediocre team because:
- Mark Streit has been horrible all season and has not remotely created enough offense to make up for his constant awful turnovers
- The defense as a whole can't move the puck by skating or passing which slows down the forwards and kills our zone entries and forecheck
- The team as a whole is probably one of the slowest in the NHL, with Voracek and Read being the only ones with real top-end speed
- The top line has not produced and we have no elite or even bordering on elite goal scorers/wingers
- Mason is bound to regress, the only question is by how much (thank god it seems to be happening before contract negotiations)
- This team has no identity. Are we a puck possession team? No. Are we a dump and chase grind-it-out team? No. What are we?
- What does Wayne Simmonds do exactly for this team? At 5 on 5 he is pretty much useless. He wins some puck battles but the guy is a below average passer, shooter, puck handler, and skater. He has some value on the PP but he is not a top 6 forward at 5v5.
- Is Scott Hartnell more than a below-average top line forward in this league anymore? I think his time as an effective top line winger was over after 2011/2012.
- When are we going to make a trade for a defenseman who can move the puck? Recent trade block rumors say that Dimitry Kulikov, Michael Del Zotto, and Jake Gardiner are available. We may even be able to make a blockbuster-type trade happen with a team like Winnipeg who is struggling and may be looking to part with the likes of Evander Kane and Dustin Byfugien for the right price.