What. A. Game. The Flyers once again dominated for 50 minutes, perhaps even more so than the last game. The Caps benefited from some tremendous shooting luck, scoring twice on only 4 scoring chances TOTAL in the first two periods. Contrast that with the Flyers, who put up a huge volume of chances with a little help from extended powerplay time. Total chances were 26 to 14 Flyers, and even strength chances 15 to 10. But the game was nowhere near that close. Half of Washington's chances came in the final 10 minutes thanks to some PP and 4v4 hockey. Every flyers line had a positive night, and offensive chances were spread around fairly evenly. That said, some performances were more impressive than others!
1st Line(Raffl +2, Giroux +1, Voracek 0) B, Giroux's line wasn't as dominant as the last game. Voracek and G were among the very small list of Flyers with sub .500 corsi numbers. Raffl was better, breaking even in shot attempts. Despite this, they still generated some offense and had flashes of brilliance at 5v5. I'm nitpicking here, but they could have been better given that they we're largely kept away from the Caps 1st line. Giroux got caught puck watching the Caps lone even strength goal.
2nd Line(Hartnell +3, B. Schenn +3, Simmonds +3) A, Perfect timing for Schenn to have one of his best games of the season. This was the Flyers best puck possession line in the Top 9 group. Although they were also kept away from the Ovi line, its nice to see them finally dominate an inferior match-up. Unfortunately Schenn took a nasty hit and left the game early with an upper body injury. Its a shame, and I hope he isn't out long term.
3rd Line(Read +1, Couturier +1, Downie +4) A, Coots gets the lionshare of ice time against Ovi and handles it very well! They almost broke even in possession, although Downie's personal numbers diverge quite a bit from his linemates. Obviously some shuffling went on after Schenn's injury. As always, its impressive to see this line come out ahead against a difficult match up.
- 4th Line(Vandevelde 0, Hall 0, -1) B, For the first time since the acquisition of Vandevelde, the Flyers 4th line has a positive possession night. Not only that, they were tops on the entire team. Of course, they didn't do anything with it and barely generated any offensive chances. But it always nice to see them control a match up! Also props to Vandevelde for moving up to the 2nd line and not looking too bad.
1st Pair(Coburn -1, Timonen -2) B, Their chance +/- numbers are unusual, given that they were the best Flyers d-pair at controlling possession. I'm honestly shocked, because I thought Coburn played one of his best games of the season. He was constantly up on the play and driving offensive zone time with smart plays. Still, not a terrible performance given their match up against Ovi.
- 2nd Pair(Grossmann +4, Streit +10) A, Yup....you read that right. Streit was a +11/-1 in scoring chances. I ran the numbers twice to make sure. And they didn't get easy minutes, seeing a fair amount of the first line. I don't think I've seen an individual break double digits this season, but kudos to Streit if he's the first. Somehow they ended up with astronomical chance numbers while just being average in possession. (That's not supposed to happen!)
- 3rd Pair(Gustafsson 0, L. Schenn -1) B, Hey! A pair whose average possession numbers match their average scoring chance results! Small miracle. Although, like Coburn, I thought Gus looked very good to the eye test. Sheltered minutes compared to the other pairs, but still a passable overall performance.
- Power Play A, 6 opportunities, 8 shots on goal, 10 scoring chances(they missed the net a lot), and 2 goals. A quality performance from a production standpoint and they seemed to move the puck at will through the Caps pk box. And they finally took full advantage of a 5:00 minute PP, which I can't recall them scoring on so far this season. But somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
- Penalty Kill B, 2 opportunities, 2 shots against, 4 chances against, 1 goal against, 1 shorthanded chance for. The PK didn't get much work but it was a passable performance against a dangerous unit. Ovi's goal was another flukey one, and largely Mason's fault.
- Steven Mason B, He stopped 24 of 26 shots and 12 of 14 chances. Mason definitely looked shaky on the first goal, which he basically gift wrapped for Ovechkin. But he rebounded with a strong performance in the 3rd period.
Overall Team Performance: A
The Flyers controlled play convincingly and severely out-chanced the Caps for the majority of the game. A number of players turned in fantastic individual performances, including the now injured Brayden Schenn. And the PP came to life at just the right time. I forgot to mention the incredible game Matt Read with some tenacious keep ins. About as dominating a win as we could expect from this team. The sheer volume of offensive chances generated in this game was impressive, and its equally impressive that I can't point to one line or player that had a noticeably bad game. Everyone was involved in this win and that's always good to see.
Chance by Chance Summary
|Home||1||16:08||Set Up Read, Chance L. Schenn, Result Miss||9||14||22||24||32||35||4||25||42||52||70||83||5v5|
|Home||1||11:45||Set Up B. Schenn, Chance Hartnell, Result Shot||8||10||17||19||32||35||25||42||52||70||81||83||5v5|
|Home||1||8:55||Set Up Giroux, Chance Voracek, Result Miss||19||26||28||32||35||93||4||24||43||48||70||74||5v5|
|Home||1||5:38||Set Up B. Schenn, Chance Simmonds, Result Shot||10||17||19||22||26||35||25||42||52||70||81||83||5v5|
|Home||1||3:05||Set Up B. Schenn, Chance Giroux, Result Shot||9||10||24||28||32||35||4||19||70||74||83||5v4|
|Home||1||2:31||Set Up Streit, Chance B. Schenn, Result Miss||9||10||24||28||32||35||4||19||70||74||83||5v4|
|Home||1||2:27||Set Up Giroux, Chance Streit, Result Miss||9||10||24||28||32||35||4||19||70||74||83||5v4|
|Home||2||18:23||Set Up Coburn, Chance Voracek, Result Goal||5||12||28||35||44||93||10||16||20||27||70||74||5v5|
|Home||2||13:34||Set Up Timonen, Chance Giroux, Result Shot||17||19||28||35||44||93||25||27||42||70||74||5v4|
|Home||2||13:23||Set Up Voracek, Chance Giroux, Result Miss||17||19||28||35||44||93||16||27||70||74||83||5v4|
|Home||2||12:50||Set Up Giroux, Chance Voracek, Result Miss||17||19||28||35||44||93||10||20||27||70||74||5v4|
|Home||2||11:40||Chance B. Schenn, Result Shot||5||8||9||10||14||35||8||19||61||70||81||90||5v5|
|Home||2||8:08||Set Up Downie, Chance Read, Result Goal||8||9||10||24||32||35||8||19||27||70||74||90||5v5|
|Home||2||4:57||Set Up Hartnell, Chance Simmonds, Result Shot||8||10||17||19||32||35||4||25||42||48||61||70||5v5|
|Home||2||2:57||Set Up Read, Chance Streit, Result Goal||9||14||24||32||35||76||4||10||20||61||70||5v4|
|Home||2||2:25||Set Up Giroux, Chance Voracek, Result Shot||12||17||28||35||44||93||25||27||42||70||74||5v4|
|Home||2||1:44||Set Up Timonen, Chance Voracek, Result Goal||9||12||14||24||32||35||10||20||27||70||74||5v4|
|Home||2||1:04||Set Up Raffl, Chance Couturier, Result Miss||9||12||14||24||32||35||10||20||27||70||74||5v4|
|Home||3||18:26||Set Up Read, Chance Couturier, Result Shot||9||14||22||24||32||35||8||19||52||70||81||90||5v5|
|Home||3||15:36||Set Up Raffl, Chance Simmonds, Result Shot||5||12||17||32||35||76||8||19||52||70||81||90||5v5|
|Home||3||13:15||Set Up Giroux, Chance Raffl, Result Shot||8||12||28||32||35||93||8||19||52||70||81||90||5v5|
|Home||3||12:48||Set Up Raffl, Chance Giroux, Result Shot||12||17||26||28||32||35||16||19||20||52||70||81||5v5|
|Home||3||12:32||Set Up Hartnell, Chance Simmonds, Result Goal||17||19||22||26||35||76||16||20||27||70||74||83||5v5|
|Home||3||10:24||Set Up Couturier, Chance Read, Result Shot||8||9||14||24||32||35||8||19||52||70||81||90||5v5|
|Home||3||10:22||Chance Read, Result Miss||8||9||14||24||32||35||8||19||52||70||81||90||5v5|
|Home||3||4:51||Set Up Couturier, Chance L. Schenn, Result Shot||8||14||22||35||36||8||19||42||52||70||90||4v5|
Home Team Player Summary
Home Team Period Summary
|Period||Totals||EV||PP||5v3 PP||SH||5v3 SH|
Shot Attempts Courtesy of Extra Skater