Playing in Detroit seems to wreak havoc on the Flyers discipline. They took seven penalties, five of which happened in the 2nd period. As you might imagine, the chance numbers are skewed in Detroit's favor. Total chances were 20 - 14 detroit, and 13 to 7 at evens. Half of Detroit's chances came from the Flyers 2nd period parade to the penalty box. Otherwise, I think the Flyers were competitive at even strength and dominated the 3rd period with the help of a couple of powerplays. Almost every Flyer player had a positive puck possession night, but the chance numbers don't look as impressive. Quick reminder, these line grades aren't meant to be a reflection of an individual player's performance, but his line as a whole. Keep that in mind as you read on.
1st Line(Hartnell -3, Giroux -4, Voracek -5) D, Giroux drew Detroit's 1st line centered by Weiss and struggled to generate offense at 5v5. Despite coming out slightly ahead in shot attempts, they only registered 1 even strength chance. Defensively they gave up more chances than any other Flyers line and surrendered a goal.
2nd Line(Raffl 0, B. Schenn +1, Simmonds +1) C, I was surprised to see that Detroit's coaching staff didn't try to exploit this line. Most opposing coaches have been targeting this group with their Top-6 forwards, but they got a weak match up tonight with the Wing's third line. As a result, they had a fantastic Corsi night, registering north of 70% of shot attempts. They also were the only line to come out slightly ahead in scoring chances. Berube gave them lots of o-zone starts as well. Even with the mostly positive numbers, I would have liked to see this line produce more offensively. They should be taking advantage of sheltered deployment, rather than just treading water in the chance department. Defensively they allowed a goal against.
- 3rd Line(Downie -1, Couturier -1, Read -1) A, They were matched against the Helm/Alfredsson line and broke even in possession. Although they were slightly edged in scoring chances they scored on every single chance they registered. That's efficiency! Couturier was making some fantastic passes and also scored the game winning goal. He's put the team on his back for this road trip. Downie got into penalty trouble but it wasn't enough to drag down his lines overall grade.
- 4th Line(Rosehill -1, Hall -2, Rinaldo -2) D, The worst corsi performers on the team by a wide margin and also outchanced. Forgettable night for the 4th line.
- 1st Pair(Coburn -5, Timonen -3) D, Yikes! This pair wasn't on the ice for a single 5v5 scoring chance. Like Giroux's line, they saw plenty of minutes against Weiss and company. Timonen had a very impressive Corsi night but it didn't translate into any dangerous offensive opportunities.
- 2nd Pair(Grossmann-1, Streit 0) B, The 2nd pair was matched against the Helm line and they fared well. They had a small advantage in shot attempts and essentially broke even in scoring chances. Another passable performance.
- 3rd Pair(L. Schenn -1, Mezsaros -2, D, L. Schenn let his man release to the slot on the first Detroit goal and took a bad penalty in the 2nd. Corsi numbers were ok, but they got edged in chances. Lots of soft minutes against the Wings bottom 6. Overall a mediocre game from these two.
Powerplay A+, 3 opportunities, 6 shots, 7 chances, 3 goals. 100% efficiency and big reason why the Flyers were able to take home the victory tonight. The PP accounted for half of their scoring chances. An encouraging performance. And that set play to Hartnell in the slot finally worked!
Penalty Kill B, 7 opportunities, 10 shots against, 7 chances against. As one would expect, the PK struggled. There isn't much you can do when you spend almost an entire period killing penalties, including a 5v3. Their grade might be worse, but they were actually very good in 5 on 4 situations limiting the Wings to only 2 chances and completely shutting Detroits powerplay down late in the second and into the third period.
Steve Mason B+, Mase stopped 32 of 35 shots and 17 of 20 scoring chances. Another solid performance. He held up as well as he could against the barrage of chances in the 2nd period. Only goal you can pin on Mason is the Franzen slapper, which was unscreened and just beat him clean.
Overall Team Performance: C+
The atrocious lack of discipline detracts from an otherwise solid Flyers game. I thought they carried the play for long stretches in the 1st and 3rd. The 3rd line was magnificent offensively and carried the team 5 on 5. Specials teams play was great, with the PP connecting on some pretty plays. The PK deserves a ton of credit for just surviving the 2nd period with only one goal against. But there are some points of concern. Giroux's line, and the 1st D-pair struggled to limit chances against. But nitpicks aside, lets enjoy the win! Its been pretty fun watching this Couturier kid grow into a star hasn't it?
Chance by Chance Summary
|Away||1||14:57||Set Up Giroux, Chance Streit, Result Shot||14||35||52||55||90||93||8||19||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||1||7:12||Set Up Giroux, Chance Hartnell, Result Shot||18||20||35||52||55||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||1||6:13||Set Up Couturier, Chance Downie, Result Goal||2||8||23||35||43||9||10||14||24||32||35||4v5|
|Away||1||2:57||Set Up Raffl, Chance Simmonds, Result Miss||4||18||20||21||23||35||10||12||17||22||35||41||5v5|
|Away||2||3:23||Set Up Couturier, Chance Read, Result Goal||18||20||27||35||52||71||8||14||19||24||32||35||5v5|
|Away||3||18:51||Set Up Voracek, Chance Hartnell, Result Shot||2||4||18||20||21||35||8||10||12||17||32||35||5v5|
|Away||3||15:30||Set Up Timonen, Chance Simmonds, Result Shot||18||20||23||27||35||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||3||14:47||Set Up Timonen, Chance Giroux, Result Goal||18||20||23||27||35||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||3||11:33||Set Up Downie, Chance Couturier, Result Goal||4||18||20||21||23||35||9||14||22||24||35||41||5v5|
|Away||3||11:25||Chance Raffl, Result Shot||4||18||20||21||23||35||10||12||17||22||35||41||5v5|
|Away||3||10:44||Set Up Timonen, Chance Voracek, Result Miss||8||35||43||52||55||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||3||10:17||Set Up Streit, Chance Giroux, Result Miss||18||20||23||27||35||17||19||28||32||35||93||4v5|
|Away||3||10:04||Set Up Giroux, Chance Hartnell, Result Goal||18||20||23||27||35||17||19||28||32||35||93||4v5|
|Away||3||2:15||Chance B. Schenn, Result Shot||18||27||35||37||52||71||8||10||12||17||22||35||5v5|
Away Team Player Summary
Away Team Period Summary
|Period||Totals||EV||PP||5v3 PP||SH||5v3 SH|
Shot Attempts Courtesy of Extra Skater