Now that's a good homestand.
Danny Briere's overtime game-winner gave the Flyers a big 4-3 win over the Carolina Hurricanes, and out of eight possible points in this four game stretch at the WFC, they pulled in seven. Now they'll hit the road for a tough stretch in Toronto, Winnipeg, Montreal, New Jersey, Long Island and Pittsburgh. Nice to hit the road with a victory.
To the bullet points...
* Didn't come easily. The Flyers again sat back in the third period and allowed Carolina to get back into the game -- and for the second game in a row, the Flyers blew a third-period lead.
* If there's one line that looked good today for a full 60 minutes, it was the unit of Tye McGinn, Jakub Voracek and Brayden Schenn. McGinn joined the other two in stride and didn't miss a beat, while Jake and Brayden continued to grow upon what they had put together the other night.
* ... sort of confusing, then, that Peter Laviolette broke them up. Dude shuffles lines way too much.
* Nevertheless, Schenn and Voracek just look great together. Could really use continued production from them.
* Thought Ilya Bryzgalov looked a little shaky at times today, but he made several big saves in the third period and overtime to keep the Flyers in it. 12 saves in the third = big.
* Matt Read continues to be the team's best offensive player. It's not just that he scored a goal -- he's routinely creating chances and always seems to be on top of the puck in the offensive end of the ice.
* Briere had the GWG, of course, but he also had five shots on goal in the game. It's only a matter of time before pucks really start going in the net for him, I'd say. He's been a really positive offensive player and deserves more than the two goals he has on the season.
* Luke Schenn led all Flyers' skaters in ice time, playing 24 minutes, 50 seconds.
* The Flyers blocked 20 Carolina shots. Schenn led the team with six.
Questions with Answers
1. Can the Flyers limit the Staal bros?
Yes, they combined for just two shots on goal.
2. If Wayne Simmonds plays, how does he look?
Kind of quiet, but he played 15 minutes and had three cracks at the net.
3. And how does Peter Laviolette shakeup the lineup to fit him in?
Like what he did with the lines off the start, but Lavi, sir, please ease up on the in-game line shuffling.
4. please no shootout please no shootout etc
no shootout! close call though.
Comment of the [Day]
Giroux: Clarkie, how do we win a faceoff?
Clarke: If he wins, BREAK HIS FUCKING LEG. Next guy up against you won't try any shit. Just trust me.