Current Cap Situation: 62,074,881 committed to 19 players
-100,000 buyout penalty for Oskars Bartulis
-Could have 4,935,714 for Pronger's LTIR
Coming off the books as UFAs:
1. Simon Gagne
3. Jody Shelley
4. Mike Knuble
5. Matt Walker
10. Matt Ford
Restricted Free Agents:
1. Zac Rinaldo
2. Erik Gustaffson
3. Blake Kessel
5. Mitch Wahl
7. Shane Harper
10. Ben Holmstrom
-Danny Briere - 35 Years Old, losing skills, always bad at defense
-6.5 million dollar cap hit, 2 more seasons
-Salary: 2013-2014 - 3 million; 2014-2015 - 2 million
-Ilya Bryzgalov - Inconsistent 32 year old netminder
-5,666,667 cap hit through 2020
-4,000,000 left for 1 season.
-5,500,000 million dollar salary
My quick thoughts:
1. Bryzgalov will be back next season. The buyout window is two years. If the Flyers are going to ditch him, it would mean they have a better goaltender in the works. The UFA market is slim and there's no one in the system. While he is playing better, the contact is horrible. He will almost certainly be bought out after NEXT season.
2. I do not see Mezaros being bought-out. With one season left, you might as well stick it out at that point.
3. Briere could be a legitimate candidate, but I definitely see enough value for a trade. We obviously have too many centers and he doesn't really fit the team anymore.
4. I would prefer to keep Giroux, Schenn, and Courturier on this roster. I would not mind dumping Read or Laughton.
5. Pronger obviously isn't going to retire with 11 million owed to him over the next few seasons. Too bad buy-out isn't an option so that whole situation can be over.
6. Defense really needs some help. Still missing a stud and Timonen is definitely not coming back another season.
7. I wouldn't mind seeing Gagne come back for some veteran leadership.
8. I hope the Flyers sign Boucher to be the back-up.
So who's coming back, who's staying, and who would you like to add?