Just because the Flyers' season is over doesn't mean your hockey season has to end…
NHL 13 has a GM Connected mode, which is basically Be a GM but online, so you play other human-controlled teams (it's awesome!). You can control everything about the organization: you set the lineup, adjust the team strategy, play the games, make trades, sign players, draft players, etc.
Currently, we are roughly 70 games into our second season. Before I reveal the available teams, please take a few minutes to read about some basic rules and logistics of our league.
1. CONTACT INFO: All members of the league must provide their contact information (name, email, PSN handle, cell), which is shared in a private Google Document/spreadsheet so that you can communicate with the other GM's to coordinate games, set up trades, etc. We also recently set up a discussion thread site on ProBoards.com as well as a chat group on Chatzy.com to provide additional ways to communicate with the other GM's of the league.
2. HOW THE LEAGUE WORKS: Every time the league is advanced (we advance twice a week), there is a new set of roughly 5 games available for you to play (you can play them in any order, at any time, though it will largely depend on when you can coordinate the games with your opponents). Any games that you are unable to play are automatically simulated the next time the league is advanced (however, you really need to at least TRY to play all of your games to be fair to the other GM's).
If you know you will be away for a few days, there is a way to enable your CPU to play for you so the other GM's can play the games against your team. If you are interested in managing a team but do not want to play the games, you can permanently enable your CPU to play for you. Ideally, we’d like to have 30 human-controlled teams playing against each other, but if you want to be part of the league but don’t want to play some or all of the games, that’s an option.
Trades, waiver claims and free agent signings are all processed when the schedule is advanced (this is not a setting that can be changed). For example, if you trade Scott Hartnell for Gabriel Landeskog during the middle of the advance period, the trade will not be reflected until after I advance the league.
Also, there is absolutely NO trading with CPU-controlled teams. All trades have to be approved by the commissioner, so it won't be possible to sneak one in.
3. ACTIVE USERS: You have to be active in the league. If you check your PS3 once every other week, this league will not be a good fit for you. The league is incredibly fun, but only when everyone participates.
There is an NHL 13 mobile app you can download to check your team on the go, and with the creation of the ProBoards site and Chatzy group, it will be easier to manage your team if you can’t get on your PS3 every day.
4. SPORTSMANSHIP: You must display good sportsmanship. There is absolutely no “rage quitting” allowed (meaning, if you lose 6-0, you cannot quit before the game is over just because you're annoyed that you lost). Any reported “rage quitting” will get you thrown out of the league immediately.
5. GENERAL SETTINGS: The general settings for the league are 5-minute periods, continuous 20-minute periods of OT (no shootouts), and all games played against the CPU are on Pro difficulty.
6. OTHER NOTES: Keep in mind that most of these teams have traded, signed and waived players because we are almost finished with our second season. For example, Jamie Benn was signed by Montreal in the offseason and then traded to Columbus, and there are many other players who have been shuffled around.
Also, if you plan on joining this season, the trade deadline has passed so you will be unable to make any trades until the offseason.
If you are interested in joining, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, PSN ID and which team you would like to manage. I will let you know if that team is still available and will tell you how to proceed. Once you have joined, I will share the Google Doc with you so you can enter your contact information, and then I can help you get set up with ProBoards and Chatzy accounts.
If you have any questions before you decide you want to join, please feel free to email me.
Thanks so much, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Teams Available (we would like to fill Eastern Conference teams first, if possible, but email me with your team choice regardless of Conference):
- New York Islanders
- Buffalo Sabres
- Florida Panthers
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- Chicago Blackhawks (available in offseason)
- Edmonton Oilers (available in offseason)
- Minnesota Wild
- Dallas Stars