Total Chances: 23 to 12 Flyers
Even Strength Chances: 12 to 9 Flyers
You wouldn't know it by looking at the shot attempts but this game was very close at 5v5. Flyers dominance on special teams is the prime reason they were able to pull out a victory. Buffalo was able to stay in the game at even strength because of some egregious defensive break downs by the Flyers and several odd man rushes against Mason. There were probably half a dozen times where a forward was left alone in front of Mason, and the Sabres hit a couple of notable posts. We've got some very underwhelming even strength line performances to look at. Although keep in mind, Berube did hit the line blender a few times in this game, so you'll see some mismatched individual numbers.
1st Line(Raffl +7, Giroux +2, Voracek +2) A, This line accounted for 50% of the Flyers even strength chances and was the best overall Corsi performer. Michael Raffl had a fantastic game spending time on both the 3rd and 1st line and controlled 75% of shot attempts. Raffl and Voracek were also most directly involved forwards, both with 4 scoring chances to their credit. Berube's short experiment with Lecavalier on this line was WILDLY unsuccessful. 2 of the Sabres 3 goals came with Vinny, Giroux, and Voracek on the ice, and a handful of quality scoring chances on top of that. I think it would be best to keep Lecavalier as far away from the 1st line as is possible.
2nd Line(Hartnell -1, B.Schenn -1, Simmonds -1) C, A decidedly average performance for the 2nd unit. They controlled possession well enough against a bad Sabres team. But relative to their teammates, this was one of the Flyers poorer Corsi lines. They struggled in the defensive zone a bit, with some notable errors by Schenn leading to chances against. Considering how good they've been lately, its not surprising to see them come back down to Earth a bit. Look for them to rebound Thursday against Nashville.
- 3rd Line(Lecavalier -2, Couturier +1, Read +1) B, Surprise, surprise. Couturier's numbers magically rebounded with the return of Matt Read and some ice time away from Vinny. In fact, Coots was third best on the team in CorsiFor controlling over 73% of shot attempts, and this unit was the second best at generating 5v5 offense. Hopefully this is a sign that Couturier is back to being a strong offensive force on the ice.
- 4th Line(Rosehill 0, Hall 0, Vandevelde +1) D, STOP GIVING ROSEHILL STARTS. He got all of 4 minutes of ice time and took a terrible penalty. It is unfathomable that a man with no discernible hockey skill is getting ice time over players like McGinn and Downie and getting paid to suck at his job. Is this a professional hockey team or a circus act? /rant
1st Pair(Coburn +2, Timonen +5) A, Best defensive pair by far and Timonen had a fantastic game driving possession. Best CorsiFor% on the entire team for Kimmo. The man truly is a Finnish god of hockey. They did get burned for a goal against, but the most notable defensive mistake on the play was Giroux's.
- 2nd Pair(Grossmann -3, Streit +1) D, Yet more evidence that Grossmann is harming his team. He's doing his best to drag Streit down into the abyss of suck with him, but thankfully Mark is still treading water. The Sabres only managed to outshoot 4 Flyers players in this game, the 4th line and Nick Grossmann. He doesn't belong in the Top 4.
3rd Pair(Meszaros +1, L.Schenn 0) C, Not their best outing of year but they broke even in chances and had a strong possession game. Only complaint is that Schenn and Mez got a little mixed up on the 3rd goal and no-one covered Ennis. A passable performance overall. I was hoping Mez's recent streak of offense would continue but he's cooled off.
- Powerplay A, 9.8 minutes, 10 shots, 11 chances, 2 goals. The powerplay was rock solid and took advantage of an undisciplined Sabres team. Your stand out star on the powerplay was Wayne Simmonds. He set up 2 chances, both of which led to goals, and generated 3 chances of his own.
- Penalty Kill A, 8 minutes, 5 shots against, 3 chances against, 0 goals. Buffalo PP had almost as much ice time as the Flyers and generated half the shots and a third of the chances. Fantastic performance by the PK.
Overall Team Performance: B+
Once again the Flyers strong special teams play carries them over the top. Great individual performances by Raffl, Voracek, Timonen, and Simmonds are the highlights of the night. Unfortunately this game was dramatic evidence that Vinny and Grossmann continue to drag down their respective lines. It doesn't seem to matter where in the lineup Berube puts Lecavalier, the numbers always come back negative. Could this team be a playoff contender without those two in the line up? Its a tough question to answer but its one worth asking Paul Holmgren.
Chance by Chance Summary
|Away||1||16:00||Set Up Giroux, Chance Hartnell, Result Miss||1||6||28||52||65||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||1||15:43||Set Up Voracek, Chance Hartnell, Result Shot||1||6||28||52||65||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||1||8:09||Set Up Voracek, Chance Giroux, Result Shot||1||3||10||17||23||65||5||12||28||35||44||93||5v5|
|Away||1||5:18||Set Up Giroux, Chance Voracek, Result Shot||1||3||9||10||24||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||1||1:08||Set Up Streit, Chance Raffl, Result Shot||1||6||17||23||52||65||12||28||32||35||44||93||5v5|
|Away||2||19:11||Set Up Giroux, Chance Simmonds, Result Shot||1||3||10||28||65||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||2||19:10||Chance Simmonds, Result Shot||1||3||10||28||65||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||2||18:51||Set Up Timonen, Chance Voracek, Result Shot||1||9||10||52||82||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||2||18:22||Set Up Simmonds, Chance Voracek, Result Goal||1||9||10||52||82||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||2||13:41||Chance Raffl, Result Shot||1||3||10||26||28||63||8||12||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||2||13:26||Set Up Giroux, Chance Voracek, Result Shot||1||3||10||26||28||63||8||12||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||2||7:52||Set Up Hartnell, Chance Giroux, Result Miss||1||6||9||28||52||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||2||6:49||Set Up Couturier, Chance Simmonds, Result Shot||1||3||10||28||82||14||17||24||32||35||40||4v5|
|Away||2||1:10||Set Up Couturier, Chance Read, Result Shot||1||4||9||19||27||44||12||14||22||24||35||41||5v5|
|Away||3||15:55||Set Up Streit, Chance Lecavalier, Result Shot||1||3||10||28||82||10||14||24||32||35||40||4v5|
|Away||3||14:36||Set Up Vandevelder, Chance Raffl, Result Miss||1||6||17||26||52||63||12||18||22||35||44||76||5v5|
|Away||3||10:47||Set Up Voracek, Chance Giroux, Result Shot||1||4||26||28||44||63||12||22||28||35||41||93||5v5|
|Away||3||7:30||Set Up Voracek, Chance Raffl, Result Shot||1||4||26||28||44||63||8||12||28||32||35||93||5v5|
|Away||3||6:33||Set Up Hartnell, Chance B.Schenn Result Goal||1||3||9||10||19||27||10||17||19||32||35||41||5v5|
|Away||3||4:08||Set Up Simmonds, Chance Hartnell, Result Goal||1||6||28||52||82||17||19||28||35||44||93||4v5|
|Away||3||1:56||Set Up Coburn, Chance Hartnell, Result Miss||1||3||10||24||26||63||5||10||17||19||35||44||5v5|
|Away||3||0:22||Set Up Timonen, Chance Lecavalier, Result Shot||1||6||26||28||52||63||5||14||24||35||40||44||5v5|
|Away||3||0:18||Set Up Read, Chance Lecavalier, Result Goal||1||6||26||28||52||63||5||14||24||35||40||44||5v5|
|Period||Totals||EV||PP||5v3 PP||SH||5v3 SH|