The Panthers have secretly been not awful this year, which most of you probably realized for the first time during this game.
But what you may not realize even now is that the Flyers have secretly been awesome. For a team that no one seems to be particularly aroused over, the Flyers are currently only two points out of first place, with a game in hand on the conference-leading Penguins. Granted, a lot of this is due to the fact that no one in the East has a great record at the moment, but I'll overlook that for the sake of delusional happiness.
This was workmanlike win in Sunrise for the freshly tanned boys in white, the sort of trappy road game good teams win and bad teams don't.
- There were some pessimistic articles out there before and after his signing about how Ilya Bryzgalov (or another goalie of his caliber and price) would only be worth two or so wins a season. He's already shown what crap that is. Sure, he's had some bad games, but he brings confidence and peace of mind that no Flyer goalie has since Hextall in the 80s.
- Braydon Coburn: Baby Daddy has been phenomenal lately. He fights, he scores, he changes diapers (or at least supervises). What's not to like?
Zac Rinaldo looks like he's sticking around for a while, and I no longer really mind. While the unnecessary minor penalties continue to pile up, he's learning to do them in ways that piss off the other team substantially, which is really his whole raison d'etre.
- There was a timely pan of the Flyers bench in the third period on the FSN Florida broadcast which caught Harry Zolnierczyk trying to gave a fist bump to Sean Couturier. Couturier picked that moment to vigorously wipe his nose, so Zolnierczyk reached across Couturier to where he found a welcome, mucus-free fist attached to Matt Read. The kids are alright.
Especially with the Iggles finding new and different ways to suck each week, there's no reason that Philadelphia should not be giving its full undivided attention to the Flyers. Sure, it's only November, but this is the only show in town worth watching.
After the jump, questions answered and a comment of the night.
- The Panthers are like, good this season... at least so far. What stands out for them? How desperate and close to tears Kevin Dineen can look.
- And what in the wide, wide world of sports is going on with Kris Versteeg? It's kind of weird seeing him be a star elsewhere. Mostly it makes me feel bad for Florida. In any event, he didn't do muich tonight.
- The team bonding trip was just completed, so like, team chemistry is going to be off the charts tonight right? See the Zolnierczyk-Couturier-Read episode above. And they all looked super tan.
- Seriously, only playing their second game in over a week, what's the team look like and how do they come out of the gate against a pretty challenging Florida team? They're amaaaaaaaazing.
Comment of the Evening:
Theodore really didn’t READ that but he did Weep! --UKFlyer
We do it again tomorrow. Go Flyers.