Today's open discussion thread, complete with your daily dose of Philadelphia Flyers-related news and notes...
- Wayne Simmonds reveals that he signed the contract extension because he likes Philadelphia and that he liked the way the Pittsburgh series went but not the New Jersey series. [The Hockey News]
- The Winter Classic logo was unveiled. Does it hold clues about the labor negotiations? [icethetics]
- Helplessness is frustrating, but there's really nothing we fans can do about a lockout. [Puck Daddy]
- But we can look at how salaries changed after the last one. An information-rich article notes that (among other changes), salaries for second- and third-line RFA-age players have grown sharply as teams have recently started awarding contracts based on potential, and that teams appear to be losing those bets. [mc79hockey]
- Tim McManus writes his final article as a Post-Star staff writer. We'll miss his excellent work on the Phantoms beat, but have no doubt he'll continue to produce interesting pieces. [PostStar]