I have wanted to write about this all season, but the Flyers weren't scoring goals, so it didn't really seem that pressing an issue. But now that the team has won three straight games, scoring 11 goals in those three games, it seems important.
CHANGE THE DAMNED GOAL SONG.
Maybe I'm alone in my hatred for the current goal song, Fall Out Boy's My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark, or as you likely know it, Light 'Em Up, or perhaps MUP MUP MUP.
hahahahahaha wait no of course i'm not alone it's an awful song
please change the goal song for the love of god, @NHLFlyers— Broad Street Hockey (@BroadStHockey) November 9, 2013
Flyers have the worst goal song in the league— Ryan Hazlett (@Rhazlett89) November 9, 2013
the flyers goal song stinks— Tommy DeFino (@tommy_defino) November 9, 2013
The Flyers aren't scoring because no one on the team wants to hear that dumb Fall Out Boy song play. New goal song please. Problem solved.— Balance & Composure (@balanceandcomp) November 9, 2013
The Flyers goal song is mups? No wonder Giroux won't score.— Chantal (@habsgirl4life) November 9, 2013
Oh no! Is the Flyers goal song "Light a Mup" now?? When did that happen?! Ugh. That song should be banned from... well, everything.— goth tears (@spider_cider) November 9, 2013
Maybe this song was okay when it came out. I don't know. I don't really remember. But then the NHL used it in Stanley Cup Playoffs commercials all spring -- you were on the golf course, so I'm sure you missed it -- and then it was played on every radio station in America every eight minutes for an entire summer and then MLB used it in their playoff commercials and then I ripped my ears off to get away from it and JUST as I thought it was safe to stitch my ears back on and watch a hockey game, YOU MADE IT YOUR FRIGGIN GOAL SONG.
It sucks. It's really awful. But it's hard to change, I know. You've already done it twice this year. So instead of just demanding a change without recommending a fix, here are a few suggestions we've seen:
- Go back to DOOP. It's polarizing, and it was the idea of the since-departed Danny Briere, but at least it's unique and has become a Philly thing thanks to both the Flyers and the Union.
- Bring back Bro Hymn. Sure, it's not unique since Anaheim used it before the Flyers did and still uses it today, but it's something that a lot of people recognize as the Flyers goal song. It's borderline iconic as a Flyers goal song, to be honest.
- Ain't Talkin' Bout Love by Van Halen. The Flyers have used this one in the past as well, and the "hey! hey! hey!" part is particularly fun following a goal.
- Whoomp There It Is. Come on, too easy.
- A completely different direction: use an Avicii song. Steve Dolan suggested that the Flyers use Levels, and the reasoning is pretty sound: Pretty much just a bonafide party song. Scientifically proven to make a crowd happy. My girlfriend Katie suggested Avicii as well, but this part from Wake Me Up. Same reason. It's hard to listen to that and be anything but happy.
- Greg at the 700 Level recommended the Space Jam theme, which is just hilarious enough to work.
- At least five people on Twitter sent us the recommendation of Seek and Destroy by Metallica. Could definitely work.
These suggestions are just a sampling. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of better songs you could pick. You have a home game in five days. Surely that's enough time to figure this out. We never want to hear Fall Out Boy at the WFC again.