NHL trade deadline day is here, and the Flyers are still -- at best -- treading water in the Eastern Conference. There's still a chance they could sneak into the postseason, but that chance is still a tiny one, and even if they do, it's no secret that this team isn't a Stanley Cup contender. Not with that defense.
So, we have to ask the question: What do you want the Flyers to do this deadline day? There are a ton of options.
1. Cut the fat. The Flyers could sell off older pieces and give the reigns to the youth for the year. Guys like Ruslan Fedotenko, perhaps Mike Knuble if there's a market, Simon Gagne (sad face), etc. should go in favor of draft picks and pieces that the Flyers can use to build for down the road. There's not much value here, but these guys could be rentals for other teams and the Flyers could get as much as they can for them now.
2. Look towards the playoffs. The playoffs are still a possibility, so the Flyers should do everything in their power to get there. We all know that once the playoffs begin, all 16 teams have a chance at the Cup. This year is no different and the Flyers should try as hard as they can to get there.
3. Bolster the defense now. Jay Bouwmeester might be gone, but there are still players out there the Flyers may be able to acquire. Dan Boyle, Derek Morris, Ryan Whitney, perhaps Jamie McBain all come to mind. Hey, maybe even Keith Yandle. It would take a lot to get any of these players, but the Flyers have draft picks and youth to give.
4. Sell big. Just blow it up. Trade Danny Briere (who cares if he's injured!). Trade Braydon Coburn and Matt Read and Andrej Meszaros and Nicklas Grossmann and whatever else. Look for draft picks, prospects and cap space in return. The Flyers are not contending for several years and they should take the time to properly set themselves up for the future.
5. Stand pat. There are no long term answers at this deadline that won't decimate the young core. The Flyers should simply stand pat and do nothing. Wait until the draft or free agency before making a move for the future.
6. Other. It's sort of limitless what the Flyers can do, so if you have other suggestions, or perhaps a mix of the above options we detailed, let's talk it out in the comments.