2014-15 NHL Season :: Game 39 of 82
6th in Metropolitan
|Saturday, January 3, 2015 :: 7:00 p.m. ET|
|Prudential Center :: Newark, N.J., USA|
|Get the New Jersey perspective at In Lou We Trust|
Someone has to win this game. Allegedly. I'm not so sure. Anywho! Quick pre-game notes.
- Claude Giroux, despite saying he is "probable" for tonight's game after last night's near-terrifying episode,
is a game-time decision, per the team. (UPDATE: Claude Giroux will not play tonight.) Scott Laughton, meanwhile, will sit. We do not know what is wrong with him.
- As a result of all that, Zac Rinaldo is back in the lineup and Brayden Schenn will move over to center for the evening. Since Berube (rightly) does not want to break up the fourth line of Chris VandeVelde - Vincent Lecavalier - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare that has been so good of late, we may very well be seeing Zac Rinaldo, Second-Line Winger in action tonight. Everyone gird your loins.
- No word on goalie yet but with Mason playing last night we can pretty reasonably assume Ray Emery will get the start.
- The Devils are bad! Very bad! Possibly even worse than the Flyers, in fact! And they've currently got a three-headed monster of a coach since they fired their old one last week. Adam Oates, Scott Stevens, and Lou Lamoriello have all been coaches for the Devils. I don't understand it either.
- At this time a week ago, the Flyers (when they weren't busy VIOLATING THE CBA LIKE GODLESS HEATHENS, that is) were picking their three-game win streak back up as they continued their yearly Disney On Ice trip. Since then, they've picked up one standings point, lost four straight games, and have not at all looked good in doing so. They've lost games that they have to win, and they know that this season is slipping away from them. Against one of the dwindling number of teams that has fewer points than them, tonight may be as good a chance as they'll have to get moving again. Let's see how it goes.