The Flyers have not won nine straight games since April 1995, but with a win tonight at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, they’ll have done that. Just for fun, take a minute to look at the box score from that ninth-straight win 21 and a half years ago. Dominic Roussel picked up the win for the Flyers in net.
Tonight in Detroit, we’re going to see Anthony Stolarz in net for his second-ever NHL start. His first was a two Sundays ago against the Calgary Flames, the first game of this now-eight-game win streak. Steve Mason has been phenomenal for the Flyers during this streak (for the most part), but with the back-to-back games and the team traveling overnight to Detroit, this is a good opportunity to get Stolarz another game.
Jimmy Howard will go for the Red Wings. He’s been great this year, compiling a .942 save percentage in 13 games so far. On the whole though, Detroit has had a pretty mediocre season thus far. They’re 13-12-2 on the year, good for sixth in the Atlantic Division and well out of the final wild card spot in the East.
They’re led offensively by Henrik Zetterberg, but his six goals and 14 assists make him the only player on the Wings with 20 or more points on the season. By comparison, the Flyers have three players above 20 points, and Jake Voracek has eight in his last two games. Detroit has scored 30 fewer goals this season than the Flyers in just two fewer games played.
Unless these teams meet in the postseason, this will be the Flyers’ final game at Joe Louis Arena. The Wings are moving to a new downtown arena next season.
- Michael Raffl - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek
- Travis Konecny - Brayden Schenn - Wayne Simmonds
- Nick Cousins - Boyd Gordon - Dale Weise
- Chris VandeVelde - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Roman Lyubimov
- Ivan Provorov - Andrew MacDonald
- Brandon Manning - Shayne Gostisbehere
- Radko Gudas - Mark Streit
- Anthony Stolarz
- Steve Mason
Scratches: Nick Schultz, Michael Del Zotto, Taylor Leier
Injured: Michal Neuvirth, Sean Couturier, Meat Read
- Tomas Tatar - Henrik Zetterberg - Anthony Mantha
- Dylan Larkin - Frans Nielsen - Luke Glendening
- Gustav Nyquist - Riley Sheahan - Thomas Vanek
- Andreas Athanasiou - Steve Ott - Tomas Jurco
- Danny DeKeyser - Mike Green
- Niklas Kronwall - Xavier Ouellet
- Brian Lashoff - Alexey Marchenko
- James Howard
- Petr Mrazek