The Flyers released their opening night roster, and oh boy is that whole deal a mess. Though it figures to sort itself out in the coming days (looking at you, Tyler Pitlick), let’s distract ourselves with some good clean sports betting content.
If you’ve been under a large rock, or buried on the depth chart behind a plodding veteran presence, people are pretty into betting on sports these days. The trend has only increased in popularity in recent years and doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon. The greater Philadelphia area has become somewhat of a hotbed of sorts thanks to New Jersey and Pennsylvania providing betting handily accessible through various mobile applications.
With the NHL season suddenly ready to get started there are plenty of chances to go ahead and slap some cold hard cash down on some bets on the 2019-20 season. Our friends over at BetOnline.ag have released some pretty spicy betting opportunities. Even if you’re not into throwing cash around, it’s interesting to see just where oddsmakers forecast things..since you know, they’re pretty damn good at it.
Here are some of the notable ones we singled out as the Flyers get set to take on the Blackhawks in Prague on Friday at 2pm.
Claude Giroux - Total Points
- The captain has averaged 78.5 points per season over his past six, but has enjoyed an average of 93.5 over his last two standout campaigns. The Flyers’ power play should be better this season, and the move to wing has clearly helped extend Giroux’s prime production years to the point that this is like stealing money.
Jakub Voracek - Total Points
- Given that Jake has only topped 68 points twice in his entire 11-year career should signal something, but then again we’ve been signaling for the man to shoot the puck on the power play for about eight years and the only thing we’ve got to show for it is a bunch of blocked Twitter accounts.
Sean Couturier - Total Goals
- Back-to-back 30-goal seasons (31 in 2017-18 and 33 a year ago) gets the Flyers’ top line center a nod on the list here for an intriguing over/under on goals. Seeing as how he’s still just coming into his own offensively, and the stable of prime offensive weapons at his side (including Giroux), it’s probably safe to say that Coots is in for another 30-goal season at the very least. With the Flyers’ power play far too talented to finish 18th overall again, and a solid number two center in Kevin Hayes added to the pivot mix, expect Couturier to get even more chances to shine on offense and put more pucks in the net.
Flyers team odds
- Win Metro +650
- Win East +1400
- Win Stanley Cup +2800
Notable NHL Over/Unders
Connor McDavid - Total Points
Nikita Kucherov - Total Points
Nathan MacKinnon - Total Points
- Look at the crazy gap between McDavid and Kucherov and the rest of the pack. Heck, even look at the nearly 10-point gap between McDavid and Kucherov alone. Even though he’s certainly capable, Kucherov’s 128-point output of a year ago isn’t likely to continue while McDavid might need 128 or more just to get the Oilers into the playoff picture...and even then it might not be enough.
Alex Ovechkin - Total Goals
- The Capitals’ star starts the season 13th on the NHL’s all-time goal scoring list with 658 and has a really good chance to move comfortably into the top 10 with a normal Ovie season. That would take just 32 goals to tie Mario Lemieux for 10th, another two to tie Steve Yzerman, and another four to tie Mark Messier. A 50-goal season for the Great 8 in 2019-20 (he’s averaged out to 50 a year in his past two) would move him into a tie with Mike Gartner for 7th all-time. That would turn the 2020-21 year into one in which Ovechkin could easily jump into the top-five with a 42-goal season landing him in fourth place in what would be his age-35 season. Ovechkin’s chase of Wayne Gretzky’s goal scoring record is certainly one to monitor in the coming seasons, and Vegas thinks he’s a pretty sure bet to keep on filling the net in 2019-20.
Connor McDavid - Total Goals
John Tavares - Total Goals
Auston Matthews- Total Goals
Nikita Kucherov - Total Goals
Steven Stamkos - Total Goals
David Pastrnak - Total Goals
Nathan MacKinnon - Total Goals
Jake Guentzel - Total Goals
- Lol. Must be nice to be a winger for the guy below, eh?
Sidney Crosby - Total Goals