The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins bested the Lehigh Valley Phantoms 2-1 in overtime in a tough rivalry game, handing the home team its first regular season loss in the newly constructed PPL Center.
Penguins goaltender Matt Murray had an unreal performance, saving 42 of 43 shots faced. The Phantoms bombarded Penguins Murray with shots but Zack Stortini was the only player to find the back of the net.
Rob Zepp, who was 3-0 prior to tonight’s loss, registered 32 saves in his 65 minutes of playing time.
- Tonight marks the first loss in front of the Phantoms home crowd, their first loss in overtime (LV was previously 2-0 in extra time) and Zepp's first recorded loss of the season. Woof.
- With the win, the Penguins advance to 5-4, and take sole possession of second place in the East Division with 10 points. Phantoms sit in third with nine points and a 4-2-1 record.
- Despite lack of scoring in tonight's game, the Phantoms first line put themselves in good position throughout the game. Alternate captain Andrew Gordon, Taylor Leier and Scott Laughton had 13 shots and had an impressive game in the offensive zone.
- Zack Stortini and Robert Hagg led the team in shots with seven each.
- After losing Shayne Gostisbehere and Brandon Manning to the Flyers, and Mark Alt to injury, the Phantoms changed up the defensive pairs prior to Wednesday’s game. Robert Hagg and Jesper Pettersson were the first pairing -- each had been with Brandon Manning in at least one game last weekend. The other pairs were Steven Delisle and Maxim Lamarche; Oliver Lauridsen and Brett Flemming.
- Reading Royals call up Maxim Lamarche had an active game on defense with Delsile on the second unit. Head coach Terry Murray said Lamarche adjusted well. Prior to tonight’s game, Lamarche recorded 11 penalty minutes for Reading and no shots.
- Despite their second-ranked power play unit, Wednesday the Phantoms could not produce a point with a man advantage. Lehigh Valley fell to sixth in the league after going 0-for-9 on the power play versus the Pens. They are 8-for-36 overall.
- The Penguins gave Lehigh Valley plenty of opportunity with 25 total penalty minutes, compared to the Phantoms 15 minutes in the box. WBS is the most penalized team in the league with 269 total penalty minutes.
- Jay Rosehill was scratched Wednesday, serving the second of his three-game suspension for an illegal check last weekend.
- Alt and Brett Hextall were also scratched Wednesday with injuries. While Terry Murray could not offer any recent updates, he said Hextall is "uncomfortable" with an upper body injury and it could be another game or two before he will be at 10 percent
- Alt’s upper body injury is more severe. According to Murray the defenseman will be out four weeks after injuring his shoulder on awkward check in the corner during Saturday’s game against the Senators.