Lehigh Valley will close out its preseason slate tonight against the Albany Devils, in its first of five matchups between the former Northway rivals.
During their last meeting in Glens Falls, NY, Jason Akeson netted his second career hat trick, breaking the Adironack Phantoms all-time single-season points record in the 4-3 win over the Devils.
Peter Straka, still on the Phantoms roster, netted the other goal for the home team.
Puck drop at 7:05 p.m. in Allentown.
Last night in Hershey
The Phantoms dropped their second preseason game to the Hershey Bears last night in a 3-1 loss in the GIANT Center.
Despite a lack-luster performance on the power play on Wednesday in the teams’ first preseason matchup, Lehigh Valley’s lone goal of the night came off the stick of right winger Andrew Gordon, who spent the last four seasons with the Bears, during a second-period power play.
Shayne Gostisbehere, who played his first game in a Phantoms sweater since being cut from the Flyers roster on Wednesday, assisted the lone goal along with Scott Laughton, who was sent down with Gostisbehere. Ghost later sent in game-leading, eight shot-on-goals at Hershey goaltender Philipp Grubauer.
· The Phantoms welcomed other recent Flyers cuts to the lineup, Friday, with Scott Laughton, Taylor Leier (who was cut last week, but had been called up to play in Flyers preseason games and saw no game action in Allentown), Robert Hagg and Mark Alt. Zack Stortini also joined the Phantoms after being placed on waivers.
· Tonight concludes preseason action for the Phantoms, so performances tonight could determine who on the current 26-player roster, will be sent to the ECHL in Reading. With four goalies and 17 forwards, a few are sure to be sent down to Reading by the time the regular season begins on Oct. 11.
· Phantoms are likely to keep Anthony Stolarz and Rob Zepp over Connor Knapp and Martin Ouellette in goal. Knapp and Ouellette have split games throughout preseason.
· Phantoms are also missing a captain and two alternate captains in the lineup. Terry Murray could be waiting on the regular season to announce leadership, or analyzing performance in preseason to decide.
· Former captain Ben Holmstrom signed a free agent contract with the Carolina Hurricanes in July after four years with the Flyers, opening the position for Brandon Manning to possibly step up. Manning has worn the A since 2012.
· With Ghost, Laughton, Leier and Stortini added to the Phantoms roster (at least for now) Lehigh Valley has a lot of promise in its lineup, with quickness, technical skill and a tough-guy domineer.
· After going 0-8 on the power play, Wednesday, and 1-4 last night in Hershey, it’s no doubt that the Phantoms' special teams need work, but the addition of Laughton and Gostisbehere on the power play may be what Lehigh Valley needs to capitalize with a man advantage.
· After just one game, Ghost and Laughton already improved the power play, assisting the only goal of the night on special teams.
· Happy Birthday, Phantoms. You’re now officially legal. Today marks the Phantoms franchise’s 18th birthday, and first win in Philadelphia. October 4, 1996 the Philadelphia Phantoms beat the Springfield Falcons 6-3.